Thursday 4 October 2012

Generation Three - Chapter Eight

BG3C8P1

"For my next trick I need a volunteer. Any takers? Don't worry, I don't bite." Two women beside me giggled at his remark, but it left me unimpressed. His whole show did. Honestly, it was just awful.

This SimFest had been the talk of Brooklyn Hights for months, so I thought I should watch and check out my competition. So far, there wasn't much to be scared off.

BG3C8P2

Two singers had been on so far. Both of them couldn't sing had their life depended on it, but dressed like sluts and I figured that they had gotten the gig that way. At least, I hoped so because they really were bad. To my relief the audience seemed to agree with me and gave them polite applause at best.

There were a lot of people watching. Some of them were performers, some were just there for the show. I had considered joining the performers, but knew the proprietor would never give me a chance just yet. I was still fairly unknown, but had a plan to turn it around. You wouldn't believe it, but the proprietors for this park weren't easy to impress. Unless you had at least a little talent (or no values when it came to clothes) you didn't stand a chance of being allowed to perform.

When the stage mage's trick became too painful to watch I walked across the meadow, away from the stage.

BG3C8P3

I put my music box down and started singing. The sounds from the next act carried across but were faint enough for me to have a good shot. I figured there were already a fair amount of people around, plus they were all into music - or most of them were - so why not try and earn some money? And get my name out there, that, too.

It didn't take long until the first people had walked over to me and were listening. A lot of them did nod their heads to my music, and even gave tips, but more walked away again after only a few seconds of listening. This crowd was a lot harder to please than what I was used to, but each simolean they gave me was a boost to my confidence. I gave it my all, and felt like I had really made progress.

Slowly, the day went by and it was getting dark, so I went home with the intention of returning the next day. I felt confident enough now to ask for that chance, and wanted to audition sooner rather than later.

BG3C8P4

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Danni too often any more. I was busy singing, and she was close to graduation which meant a lot of homework and studying for her. Most nights we just talked on the phone in the evening. She'd tell me about her day and her subjects, and I told her about how my job was going. We were both slowly making progress, and we definitely felt like we were moving forwards.

BG3C8P5

I was trying to juggle experimenting at the same time, since Amy and Danni were graduating together and I was slowly running out of time to find that potion. I seriously doubted that I'd find it in time for her birthday, but I wanted it to be a belated birthday present if nothing else.

At the same time I was trying to figure out what to do for Danni. It was easy to see that this city was no place for her - or any supernatural. There were places further south which were more welcoming, and were even considered a save haven for people like Danni. I wanted her to be happy, and guessed that she would never be as happy as can be while we stayed in Brooklyn Hights. She deserved a happier life than that, I just hadn't decided where to go just yet.

I spent a lot of time that afternoon experimenting, not only to help me relax a little before the audition but also for my sister's sake. Can you believe she was still talking to that doll? Whether this was real or not, she sure was determined! If it didn't work I hoped that it would help her understand, but if it did... Well, good for her.

BG3C8P6

The next morning I sang my heart out. The proprietor seemed to like it but I didn't want to read too much into it. I didn't know what kind of man he was - maybe he was just being polite?

It was still early, and hardly anyone else was around. One family was having a picnic in the middle of the field, and a woman was walking her dog, but that was it. At least that way no one was going to see me fail. If it was a fail. My confidence from the night before had shrunken a little, but I still knew that I wanted this. I deserved this.

BG3C8P7

I finished my song and waited for a reaction. Thank the Maker I didn't have to wait long, Lowell McDowell burst out into cheering and clapping almost right away. His reaction was a little exaggerated maybe, but at least it didn't leave any room for doubt.

"That was fabulous, Mr.... What did you say your name was?"

"Rhys. Rhys Blackwood, Sir."

"How would you like to perform tomorrow at half four, Rhys Blackwood?" He couldn't be serious! So soon? And it was a yes? I knew I deserved this, but even I was a little surprised at my success. It was a well known fact that these proprietors weren't easy to please!

"Yes, sir! Thank you!"

BG3C8P8

I felt elated after that, and even accepted a few sing-a-gram jobs around the city. People were hiring me for all sorts of things now. Most of them wanted to be cheered up, but the occasional romantic, mood setting job was also included. Luckily no one asked me to sing for their kids because they had finished their homework any more. (Spoiled brats, the lot of them.)

BG3C8P9

In the evening I invited Danni over. It was Amy's birthday, and I wanted to share my good news with her.

"Oh Rhys, that's fantastic news! I'm so sorry I can't be there." She would have her graduation ceremony at the same time. Witch or not, she couldn't be in two places at once.

"I'm sorry I can't be there when you accept your diploma." Danni stood on her toes and kissed me gently.

"Don't worry about that. Focus on your performance, I know you'll be great." Just as I was about to answer, my sister interrupted.

"Rhys! Come on, you're gonna miss it!"

Danni laughed. "I had no idea she was in such a hurry."

"Are you kidding? She's been talking about nothing else for two weeks." I took her hand and together we went into the kitchen, where my sister was looking somewhat impatient.

BG3C8P10

It was weird to see her age up. Or more, it was weird to think of her as an adult. Every other second she smiled at nothing, which I knew was where she saw her doll. It was even more weird to think that she still believed that he was really there, but she was so set in her belief that nothing I could say would convince her otherwise. The potion was the only thing that could settle this one way or the other.

BG3C8P12

I had trouble sleeping that night. I was trying to relax, but my mind kept going to my performance the next day. My first real performance. On a real stage.

The jump start that I needed to get my career going.

How was I supposed to sleep with all that on my mind?

When I woke up my nerves were running amok. Since my performance wasn't until the afternoon I decided to take my mind of it with more experimenting. I was close to discovering the right formula, all it took now was more determination and patience.

BG3C8P13

So far, every combination I had tried had failed, and blown up in my face. Not as a figure of speech, but really blown up in my face. A fair amount of time was spent showering so I could get the stench of burned hair and dust of my skin.

Another distraction that morning was Danni who phoned me to wish me luck. We couldn't talk for long since she was getting ready for her ceremony, but it helped me relax at least a little. Before I knew it 2pm had rolled around and it was time to leave.

BG3C8P14

The moment I had been waiting for since I was a little kid was finally about to happen.

Today was the day I became a singer.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you got the zombie problem fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I'm glad it didn't give me any more trouble. It would have somewhat ruined things since zombies are one addition to the game I don't need forced on me :/

      Delete
  2. aww I wonder what Amy's imaginary friend looks like ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen him in CAS - not impressed :/ Not sure how accurate it is, will just have to see what happens when he turns :) IF that happens :)

      Delete