Friday 17 August 2012

Generation Two - Chapter Seventeen

BG2C17P1

"Who's daddy's little star?" Leon loved his son more than anything. When he wasn't at work he'd be cuddling him, talking to him and making him laugh. "Can you say Daddy?"

"PRRRRRRR!" Rhys gurgled happily, breaking out in laughter when Leon picked him up and tickled his tummy.

"That's right! Daddy!" It was hard to believe that it was already time for Rhys's first birthday. One year had gone quickly. One year in which we hadn't gotten much sleep.

BG2C17P2

I had invited his uncle Caelan, but just like on my wedding he didn't show. We had hardly heard anything from him since he had moved out. Every now and again we'd hear that a new book was out, but that was it. At first I had tried to congratulate him on his success, but our phone calls had gotten shorter and shorter until I had stopped trying. If he wanted to ignore me, and shut us out to this extend than fine.

Caelan had been the only guest we had invited for Rhys's birthday, so the party ended up being even smaller than we had planned.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Rhys... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" It was just me and Leon singing, but it didn't sound too bad. Rhys seemed to know that something special was happening, because he was gurgling and laughing more than usual. I blew out the candles for him, and together with Leon I watched him grow up. And what a handsome young man he was!

BG2C17P3

Daddy was as taken by his looks as I was. Leon's red hair and my green eyes looked magical on him, we had an inkling that we wouldn't be able to keep the ladies away once he started High School. Something that was still very far away, thank the Maker.

"Can you say Daddy?" Leon had been trying to get him to say it ever since Rhys had been born. Needless to say, he hadn't gotten very far due to his age.

"Aaaah?"

"Dad-dy, Rhys. Say Dad-dy."

"Da-y?" Rhys repeated, and Leon was beaming with pride.

"Ebony! Did you hear that? He said Daddy!"

"He didn't, he said Day."

"That's close enough, isn't it?" I shook my head, but Leon seemed happy.

BG2C17P4

I couldn't blame him, of course. I loved my son to bits, just as much as his daddy was. However, I knew that Leon still wanted a little girl, so I wasn't surprised when he asked me one evening if we could have another baby. For me, the timing was right. I had just been promoted again, and was now the team leader. My income wasn't too shabby, and Leon was also doing well. We knew that, if we were really going to have a daughter this time, we'd need to expand the house. Rhys wouldn't share his room with a girl forever, once he started school he'd be demanding his own space.

We had started making plans for a second floor, and where we would position the stairs. It was all slowly coming together, and just in time, too. I knew I was pregnant again.

BG2C17P5

Unlike last time, I wasn't willing to give up my exercise too soon. After I had had Rhys working out had felt fantastic, but I had felt so out of shape. This time, I wanted to keep going until I simply couldn't.

I was allowed at work a little longer than last time. I wasn't playing, but seeing their team captain on the field (even if I was only standing or sitting down) helped their morale, and I was able to motivate them before games.

BG2C17P6

Soon I felt too sick, though. The morning sickness was a lot worse than it had been with Rhys. I was throwing up at least three times a day, which made it difficult to keep enough food inside me for me and the baby. I often just pigged out on watermelons, since they seemed to be the only food that was staying inside me. They were healthy and delicious, but I would have preferred a more varied diet during that month.

BG2C17P7

Leon was thrilled when I told him that we were having a second baby. He looked a lot happier and more relaxed this time, which I probably owed to Rhys. He was more used to being a father now, and knew what he had to do to take care of a baby.

His enthusiasm was intoxicating. He was constantly on about how he'd spoil his little girl, and how he was looking forward to decorating her room. It didn't take long until I was hoping for a little girl, too.

BG2C17P8

Rhys was the only one who was really indifferent. We had told him the good news right after I had told Leon, and he had taken it very well. He was excited to be a big brother, and asked me every half an hour or so how the bebe was doing, and when they would be able to play together.

His speech was coming along well. He wasn't talking properly yet, but he was trying new words every day and was improving quickly. We had bought him a little xylophone as a reward, and he loved playing with it. Since I couldn't do much anyway I joined him, moving my fingers to his melody. He didn't seem to be too sure of what to do, or which notes to combine, but he was enjoying it, and that was enough for me.

BG2C17P9

Leon was fantastic during my whole pregnancy. He tidied often, and was also cooking again. His food really was yummy now, and I was grateful to get a proper hot meal into me after a month of having lived of watermelons. He seemed to be liking it, too, and I knew that he was pleased with the quality of his food, sometimes even surprised.

BG2C17P10

"Hello in there, baby girl! I'm your daddy! Can you say daddy?" He was just as doting as he had been with Rhys, although maybe more deluded.

"Sweetheart, the baby can't say anything yet. You'll have to wait a little while for that. And how do you know there's definitely a girl in there?"

"She told me!" He was grinning up at me, looking very happy indeed.

"Did she now? How did she do that?"

"Last night when you were sleeping, I could feel her kicking. I talked to her to calm her down since I didn't want it to wake you, and that's when she told me!" His enthusiasm was amazing. He was glowing almost as much as I was, but I was worried that he'd be disappointed if we were having another boy. I didn't mind, but he seemed so convinced that I was having a girl.

We had started on the house renovations. Contractors were coming and going, but they never disturbed me. They were all men Leon knew from work, and they got the work done well and quickly which I was grateful for. I had never seen anyone work so fast, and we often wondered if they were vampires. Then we remembered that they worked during the day, and dismissed that idea. Then I remembered the vampire I had met at the park, and wasn't so sure any more.

Either way, they were getting the work done, and we had bought a crib and wallpaper for when it was finished. It was all coming together.

BG2C17P11

By that point my treadmill was a definite no, of course, but I still managed to get some exercise. We had bought a stroller for Rhys, which he loved to bits and I enjoyed our daily walks, too. Some times he would stretch out his little arms, and point at certain objects that fascinated him, other times he tired himself out quickly doing just that, and fell asleep before we returned home. We could never walk for too long, since my back hurt as badly as it had done during my last pregnancy. Plus my feet swell up very quickly because of the walks, but I loved every last second of it.

BG2C17P13

It was very different this time when my water broke. It was already gone eleven pm, and Leon had gone to bed. Rhys had been asleep for hours, the only reason I was still up was because my back had hurt too much for me to sleep.

When the pain coursed through my body I tried my best to stay quiet, because I didn't want to scare Rhys, but I had to get Leon's attention somehow.

"LEON!" I was half hissing half shouting, hoping that Rhys would stay asleep through it.

"What's wro- Oh MAKER!" He looked half asleep, but seeing my pain filled face woke him up immediately. Thankfully, he was a lot more composed this time, and quickly called a baby sitter for Rhys. He grabbed my bag, helped me into the car, and off we were.

Baby number two took it's time coming out compared to Rhys, who had nearly been born in the reception area. It was still a quick birth, however. After five hours it was over, and the midwife placed my daughter into my arms.

BG2C17P14

Welcome to the family, Amelia Blackwood.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishes fulfilled:

Throw a birthday party for Rhys
Reach lvl.8 of career
Buy a stroller
Buy a toy box
Master athletic skill
Chat with Leon
Go on a stroll with Rhys
Have a child
Have a girl

2 comments:

  1. Another speedy post!! Rhys is ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to see Amelia as a toddler too. I'm so happy these two finally got with the baby making program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, Ebony wants another boy (and Leon possible wants another girl) but they hardly have any time left before becoming elders so that's unlikely :/ I'm happy that I can give you guys a vote at least, though! :D Amy is a gorgeous toddler, can't wait to share pics - she has interesting genetics, haha, you'll be intrigued! ;)
      And I absolutely love Rhys, I couldn't have hoped for better genetics!

      Delete